On September 6th an Orbital Minotaur V will Launch from the Virginia coast at Wallops Flight Facility to send the LADEE SV craft to a Lunar Orbit. This will be a first – no craft has left Earth orbit out of the facility.
The targeted launch window on September 6, 2013 is from 11:27 – 11:31 PM EDT.
According to Orbital Science
“The mission also represents a number of firsts, including:
- First launch of the Minotaur V configuration
- First five-stage vehicle flown by Orbital
- First Peacekeeper-based vehicle launched from Wallops Flight Facility
- First Lunar mission flown by Orbital
- First Lunar mission flown from Wallops”
“The primary goal of the Minotaur V Launch
Vehicle is to deliver the LADEE Space
Vehicle into a lunar transfer orbit. The
LADEE SV will then maneuver as
necessary to enter Lunar orbit and perform
studies of the Lunar dust and atmosphere.”